View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Alex,
We tend to think of our teeth as being separate from other areas of our body as if they were miraculously suspended in the jawbone. But the fact is that every tooth is anchored in the jawbone by a live ligament similar to an elastic band which cushions the tooth when chewing. Every tooth also has many bundles of nerves inside the tooth. Some of these nerves are large enough to see and others are microscopic. Some of these nerves branch out into the jawbone through a hole in the end of the root of the tooth. They are part of the anatomical structure of the entire mouth which is connected to other nerves outside of the tooth into the jawbone.... into the face... into the head. When a nerve anyplace on the body is infected or traumatized, it sends out a signal to the other nerves that something is wrong. That signal creates physical symptoms such as pain and or sickness which can be felt anyplace along the path of the sick nerve. So yes, a troubled tooth can cause pain in the head.

You mentioned that you were having issues with your front tooth... what kinds of issues are you having? If the xray is negative, what makes the dentist think the nerve is dying? Are you experiencing pain to pressure.. hot or cold sensitivity..... swelling... a gum fistula..... pain for no reason at all?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex123 View Post
If a nerve is dying in your front tooth, can you have pain on top of your head and pressure on the sides of your head. I am having a root canal on my front tooth because they think the nerve is dying. I've been having issues for months with this tooth (nothing bad is showing up on the x-ray though). I am really nervous about having a root canal done. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alex123 (01-30-2010)