View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I'm going to offer a completely different opinion here, and not just for the sake of being ornery. I actually kind of liked Doctor 2's responses because he didn't jump to pathologize every thing that was happening for you, lurking, and offered some kind of perspective that the body can still be trusted in some ways, even with such a malevolent disease process. Now everybody is different, and that kind of thing would actually make me feel safer and more optimistic - but I know others feel more secure when whatever is wrong can be framed under a medical title of some kind, and they feel more taken care of that way. And I say this as somebody who has been extremely frustrated with many aspects of the PD condition not being recognized, although for me it's more that the side effects of the meds are not acknowledged, and that things like diet/nutrition and proper exercise, physical therapy, digestive health, are not routinely addressed as part of PD treatment - in fact that appalls me.

So Doctor 1 was able to talk about convergence phenomenon. Well, great - but what did he suggest to address that? And he also recognized that neck and back pain can be a part of the constellation of PD symptoms. Nice. But what did he advise you could do about it? Doctor 2, while not seemingly giving the gratification of being so empathic, and offering something that perhaps sounded a tad judgmental ("bad" posture is not a value-neutral way of describing anything) - but maybe there is a truth to the fact that all the neck and back pain might actually lead to having less than optimal posture, and that stretching might alleviate that further consequence in some way, which may help to counteract the spiral of pain. Greg, on the other hand, seems to feel that something that "CAN help" is bad - I don't get that. If it can help, maybe it's worth a try?.............And what did Dr. 1 offer to alleviate that symptom in any way?

The protein and dosing thing - well, it really does vary from person to person and changes over time, so I don't think anybody's pat answers are really gonna help, but better to have someone willing to work with your individual metabolism to help you figure it out. I've had greviously little of this help, and I've been fortunate to see what is considered some of the very top neurologists...

It's frustrating not to have symptoms recognized - I understand that - but for me it's far worse not to have them addressed once they are recognized. And just anecdotally, five years ago I think I was suffering from that convergence thing and I thought I was losing my vision. My eyesight has improved so much since that although I was starting to need reading glasses, this trend has been completely reversed, and my eyes have gained considerable strength. Other people my age even without PD are surprised by my vision. I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that even with these symptoms, there are ways to improve, and there are ways that our bodies still can be things that can work and respond to attention. Doctor 2 actually seems to offer a little faith in that.
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote