View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I recently saw the movie, King Corn. It was well done, and had great understated humor. The premise of the movie is that everything we eat is corn.

Even meat, the cattle are corn fed for the last 4 months before they are butchered...if left on that diet they would die around 6 months....meat is all fat now as compared to a generation ago when cattle was grass fed. There are farms now with 14,000 cows. One was just approved in our state, for 8,000 dairy cows! Peeeyuuu. I have a farm with 500 down the road....that is like being near a city of a million people in terms of poo. So a farmer has a 1000 acres on which to spread this....so if you go in the field, you are walking in dung, not just dirt with dung, but pure dung...smelly, nasty dung. Then we have chicken farms with 250,000 chickens in each, and they poo out a lot of chicken crap, which gets mixed with the cow poo....they spread it at night in the winter, so, people don't associate the smell with the poo spreading. I don't know how else we can feed 6 billion people either, so this is not a value judgment.

The movie follows two guys from Boston who return to Iowa where their great granfathers farmed. These two guys plant an acre of corn and follow it. It is quite funny, since they know nothing of farming. I thought it was hysterical when they planted their acre in 18 minutes, with a 32 row planter....lol, they had 8 rows. They don't make any judgments, they just follow it and you can take from the movie what you want.

It was sooo cute....and at the same time, disturbing.

So in the face of all this modified food, we have to try to control our blood sugar?? How? Well, I know HOW, but it is growing increasingly difficult for me to grow my food and process it, since my hands are very limp....you can't afford organic on what we will retire on. Hubby does not want me to raise chickens....I can't imagine why.

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote