Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
I don't know... the test was for two hours and two blood tests were obtained; one prior to the glucose drink and then two hours later. He sent me a note that said the result was 101.
This is an abbreviated GTT...typically what OB's give to pregnant women. It is mostly a screening test, and does not reveal what is really happening in the long run.

Here is a link showing a full GTT and how different they can be.
But I will warn you that many doctors fail to interpret the results usefully. They only look for significan elevations, and typically ignore the LOWs which are also important:

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~hyp...20Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia is problematic because nerves starve then.
Hyperglycemia is problematic because nerves starve then TOO.
In the second case in Type II diabetes, there is a failure of insulin to facilitate glucose into cells, so they starve. (and glucose then builds up in the blood serum. So the body tries to compensate and it stimulates MORE INSULIN, which makes more low blood sugar...this is how pre-diabetes affects the nerves.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote