View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala77 View Post
I take one of the anti-epileptic medications (Sodium Valproate) for nerve pain.

I don't think this one is available to those in the USA, but other medications in the same group have had good results when treating neuralgias.
You can get Depakote here in the U.S. which is a mix of sodium valproate and something else (can't remember). Neurontin is an anti-convulsive, anti-seizure, anti-epileptic med but chemically different than sodium valproate and works differently with the neurotransmitters. I am not sure if you can get it in Australia or not.

It is really a hit or miss on what will work and what won't work and we are each different. I have found that massages are out of the question for me as they increase the pain and spasticity - one wrong touch and it's over. LOL I do my yoga daily and that seems to help.

I also use a lot of ice. Ice helps those neurotransmitters. People who have trouble swallowing due to a stroke, brain injury, etc. are advised to drink ice water as it helps the nerves and thus makes swallowing easier. I have the constant hug and sometimes, like I mentioned, have breakthrough pain. I have no abdominal reflexes on my left side and the nerve pain shooting through that area can be tough. So I use my ice pack on it and it really, really helps.

Try different things and see what helps relieve the pain while you are waiting to get in to the dr. I find that if I follow my instincts, I do best. In other words, if I feel like I need to put ice on something I do it and it feels better. Other times, I want heat.

Feel better soon!
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (01-30-2010), Freesia38 (01-30-2010), Koala77 (01-31-2010)