Thread: Nerve pain
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Unfortunately all those medications like the anti-epileptics, Neurontin, Lyrica, etc., are all prescription only medications. That's probably a good thing though as they all have a long list of side effects, but as a nerve pain sufferer I'm sure you'd be like me...well prepared to put up with some side effects just to get rid of that pain.

Oddly enough, I did get relief from sciatic nerve pain last year, with acupuncture. I agreed to the treatment as a last attempt to help that pain, but I must admit I started with absolutely no faith at all in the needles. I'd tried it once before (many years ago) for something different and they didn't work, so imagine my surprise when my sciatic nerve pain vanished and I was able to walk again with just my cane, and being able to ditch my rollator for a while.

Narcotic pain killers like Morphine and Oxycodone (Endone) rarely work for nerve pain, and only a small percentage of people benefit from their use, but I find a combination of the Endone and Epilum (Sodium Valproate), works well for me.

While doctors are very reluctant to order opiates these days, I'm sure you'd have no trouble getting something like Tegretol or Epilum. Amitriptyline (Endep) is another commonly ordered medication for the successful treatment of nerve pain.

Good luck, and I hope you get some relief soon, but to get any of these medications you will need to see a doctor. Do you have a neurologist you could see? Also, seeing you don't sound happy with the GP you've got, maybe it's time to try and get on the waiting list to see some-one else?

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Freesia38 (01-31-2010), SallyC (01-30-2010)