View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I was hoping to supply 4 projects this spring. Looks like I have a big problem coming up! heheheheh

My yard, the public corner garden, my son's new home, and my good friend who I gave stuff to last year.

(my hairdresser got some and the mail carrier, and one engineer who was doing the road in front, last year too!)

I have lights in my studio, and a couple of portable ones, that are getting old now. The trick for indoor growing, is keeping the temp cool once they germinate, and lights close to the plants by propping the seed cells up etc. I bought two 128 cell inserts on Ebay, this year to keep as many as possible in a small indoor space. You have to use a special growing medium also. If one is not careful the seedlings get leggy, and damp off with fungus.

If we get a nice spring I can get them out under my portable cold frame and that will help. I also got some trays/cells at Lowe's last year on a clearance. I always keep my eye out for low prices. I am growing things this season that are not available in local nurseries. The Calamintha, a new variety of gazania with silver foliage, some ornamental grasses, two types of upright purple sedum (I expect failure with these), and a dark purple JoePye weed, for my son's moist yard. I also have collected some globe thistle seeds from my plants and I will try those. (I got a nice case of painful dermatitis on my hands from those babies!--gotta wear gloves to collect and sort those!)

Anyway, this keeps me from going stir crazy in Jan and Feb!

Last year I grew my seedlings outside. I started them late, and put them in my containers I take upNorth. I just left them out there and most germinated. Then I moved them to cells and kept them out there. I haven't done indoors for several years.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (03-19-2010)