View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I just want to clarify that I am reporting on my experience only. I am not a diehard proponent of CCSVI trying to talk it up in the most optimistic way possible. I still remain skeptical. But since it is my story I didn't feel the need to mention that a stent came lose and migrated to one of Dr. Dake's patient's heart and caused serious long lasting damage and could have killed him (this stent was placed very high up) or the fact that someone else had an arterial bleed after the surgery which could not be stopped since she was on blood thinners. This ultimately led to her death. It was determined by Dr. Dake and her treating doctors that the CCSVI procedure itself did not cause her death (CCSVI focuses on veins not arteries) but certainly being on blood thinners compounded the problem and possibly contributed to this tragic event. So one must always keep in mind there are serious risks of taking blood thinners. Obviously all surgery comes with some risks too. This is why I offered links to the forums in my posts so people could read more carefully for themselves about the risks and possible benefits.

I should reiterate that I have occlusion in both the lower jugular veins. Perhaps this is why the neuroradiologist I spoke with (at a top 10 medical school) thought it might be "easy to fix." It isn't high up in a tight space. All I can report is what I heard from this one doctor. Again he did not seem apprehensive about stents in veins in general. I took his word for it since he puts stents in veins and arteries inside the brain on a regular basis. I was surprised given the "warnings" I had heard elsewhere.

Anyhow, if you want more details about the nuance of the arguments, the dangers involved, the specific experience of patients who had the surgery done etc. please go to the links I mentioned in my very first post.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum-40.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/CCSVI-...s/110796282297

Everyone needs to make their own treatment decisions for themselves after researching and consulting with their doctors. I have a higher tolerance for risk than others I think. This is why I went on Tysabri even with very mild MS symptoms. This is why I am seriously considering getting my jugular stenosis treated. My quality of life NOW is more important to me then living a longer life in a progressively worsening situation. I have no limitations from MS right now and would like to keep it that way. But others should be respected for their choice not to take bigger or more unknown risks.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (02-09-2010), Debbie D (02-07-2010), jeep4wd (02-21-2010), Lady (02-05-2010), SallyC (01-31-2010)