View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
There have been a number of news stories going on this past week about the new Washington state law (Zak's Law) that hopefully will lessen the number of athletes who return to play too soon after a concussion. California is working on two laws. Other states are in the same process.
We live in Washington and Zak's law has definitely raised awareness to around concussions and the return to play. The risk of 2nd impact syndrome should be greatly decreased by this law. All of this is good and needed. Youth sports will be safer.

From my experience, I also think there is still lots of work to do around educating the doctors, parents, coaches, teachers, etc regarding the "return to school" piece of the equation. It is equally as important and the information is much more scarce. In all of my searching, I found only a handful of site with good information on this topic. Everything else was many a couple of sentences about gradually returning to school, reduced homework load and extra time on tests.

In the ideal world, I would love to see a team approach embraced for patient care - physician trained in TBI, neuropsychologist, psychologist, PT, OT and alternative medicine providers - all working together and treating the whole person.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote