View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default For me, I was diagnosed with....

CIDP after a year of first a neurologist who felt that it was merely PN. When it kept progressing and was prescribed more Neurontin [turning me into a 'human zombie'] I sought second opinions and then a THIRD opinion to 'move things along. It took me a year to get that CIDP diagnosis and IVIG treatments. 9 months later a 'lump' was found in one breast...thus surgery and the implant and trail.
That I was not tested 'off the bat' for a cancer related neuropathy? [Known as Paraneoplastic PN] is not unusual as a cancer, once it settles in... can take 5-7 years to be diagnosed. So, I could have had cancers causing problems, or not. I'd been having IVIG for almost a year before my mast. and subsequent implant - and some small studies have shown that this treatment could have helped contain the tumor..It was stage 1, either a or b..forget which and 'well contained'.
I'd been hypo thyroid for at least 10 years before the CIDP onset? Which had followed a 10+ week antibiotic course for pneumonia. The thyroid 'acted up' six months after the CIDP onset and my feet and lymph system were likely damaged in that issue, as the feet were swollen at least 3+ times the normal size and have had problems since. Thyroid declared 3 years ago as 'Hashimoto's'-autoimmune.

The implants, as I said, were a no-brainer for me. Balance wise, this little aspect is essential, especially in trying to walk normally and such. That 'TILT' factor is just not what we want or need! I now have definite osteo due to the neuro meds and the post cancer meds I've taken... inspite of good nutrition and supplements [BTW? Mrs D is a genius in this aspect!] Ergo...Falling is NOT an option for me anymore!
This group I've found to be user friendly and informative: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/
I am in a 'trial'? I really don't know HOW I qualified for a 'gummy bear' type of clinical trial, but I do know that I am tested out the wazoo each year - blood work and Pet-Scan wise! Actually the Pet's are the bestest for detecting any other possible hatching issues! All my docs sort of keep touch w/each other now? Why? They are realizing that 'things' mite be related to other 'things'! Hugs and hope always - 's post more and I'll then be able to PM you lots of cancer sites. - j

PS my surgery and implants were done 5-1/2 years ago... hate to count, but ...you know.
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote