View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Please help! Just had bone graft 5 days ago.

Hi Bryanna, I am so thankful I found you and this website. I am sitting here crying because I do not know if what I am experiencing is normal or not and I'm hoping you can help me.

Five days ago I had tooth #3 pulled and a bone graft done in preparation for an implant. I have a disgusting taste and smell coming from the site and also a salty taste which my OS said is the graft material and is normal. I don't know if I have an infection or this is how this material is supposed to smell and taste but I can't imagine my gum healing up around this and that smell/taste being trapped up in my gum.

I am assuming this might be an infection as I can't imagine what else could cause this kind of taste and odor. I am embarrassed to talk to anyone face to face for fear they can smell it too. I noticed this 24 hours after the surgery. A bit ago I was brushing my teeth and when I was done I felt something small in my mouth and it was a little white crumb, the graft material which my OS said I would experience but he said it would be gritty.

I took it off my tongue and felt it and it was very firm so I pushed on it and it became soft and I smelled it and almost threw up! THAT is where this awful smell and taste is coming from and this just can't be healthy to stay in my mouth. My OS has me on Zithromax for 5 days which I just finished today.

Should I ask him to remove the graft material? I am afraid if he does and puts more in there it will do the same thing. I am also in a lot of pain and since I've never had a tooth pulled before don't know if this is normal either. I have been brushing my teeth three times a day since the surgery but nothing and I mean nothing will make this smell/taste go away. I haven't used mouthwash as I didn't know if that would disturb the graft site or not. I do have the prescription blue mouth stuff from another dentist that stains your teeth but haven't used that either. Should I use a little peroxide or salt water?

Please help! Any advice would be SO MUCH appreciated!!
HoustonTX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote