View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It breaks my heart for me to hear that you don't feel supported by your mother. She's the one that knows you best and should be at your side through this injury.

As a mother, this has been the MOST difficult thing I have had to deal with all my years raising my kids. My youngest has had her fair share of difficult behavioral struggles and a number of surgery due to her cleft lip. All of that seem so easy now compared to dealing with a head injury. My oldest is very driven, motivated and an outstanding student. She has desires become an orthopedic surgeon. She's also an outstanding equestrian and rides jumpers. It breaks my heart that she can't do the things she loves. I get frustrated often when she won't/can't get out of bed in the AM or when she has trouble falling asleep. I worry when I don't see her memory problem improving. I am thankful that my daughter is not severely injured but I do miss my "old" daughter.

So, I guess the point of my ramblings is that your Mom could be also be having a really hard time with this as well. Her way of dealing with it could be avoidance. (Ok – I’ve gone the other extreme and have researched this topic endlessly. There is probably a better middle ground.) Maybe it would be helpful for you both to work with a therapist to work through some of this together.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (02-01-2010)