Thread: Anbesol?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink Insurance

Going through these threads opens up a BIG can of worms. INSURANCE. I am lucky in that I qualify for Medicare, (what's left of it since the government raids the leftovers every year), and I retired from the state, which gives me a great supplemental insurance to boot. And, the state pays for 80% of the supplemental, and all but a co-pay for drugs. The drug co-pay is 50% of retail up to $50 per script, per month. It is a good thing too, cause the co-pays alone for my wife and I ran almost $5,000 last year. We both have heart trouble. She has diabetes, and reduced kidney function, and I have PN and Waldenstroms. So, I, like so many on this site, would, without insurance, just curl up, and wait for the end.
I too, go through the bills that the providers send Medicare every month, and the difference between what is charged, and what is paid, makes you think you're looking at two different things. Although, you could make a case for either the insurance companies, or the providers, depending on who you are lobbying for. But, what is charged for what is done, in come cases, is idiotic. I developed eruptions (looked like BIG blisters) on my heals, and it has taken 5 months to heal them. White skin developed around the sites as healing began to take place. The podiatrist shaved this off several times as it developed, a process that involved a razor, and about 10 minutes. Charge? $720.00. Now, I will be the first to give credit to the medical professionals for all the work they went through to get their degrees. But, come on now.
The tug of war between the medical profession, and the insurance companies, with us patients in the middle, has got to come to some understanding as to costs, and payments. And, as long as the White House is in the middle of trying to take over our lives with their stupid control of the entire nation, there will never be any decent progress made.
I better get off my soapbox, and go soak my "eruptions" before I get into trouble.
I keep all of my fellow PNers in my prayers. May you too find positive answers for all of your conditions.
Gyrene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote