View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnewbie View Post
I'm experiencing something that isn't discussed much if at all in this forum, and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

I almost constantly smell an unpleasant smell that, according to the people around me, isn't real. It's hard to describe - a combination of rotting fish and burning plastic is about as close as I can come. It sometimes fades away, but then returns. According to what I have read, it's called "phantosmia", and is not really characteristic of PD.

I've been having classical PD symptoms for about 3 years (isn't hindsight wonderful :-), but I was actually "officially" diagnosed about 7 months ago. I'm also having problems with anosmia (sense of smell is disappearing). I took the smell test (the one that I think was prototyped by the University of Pennsylvania), and scored poorly.

Loss of sense of smell is common in PD, but I don't find any significant information in the literature about phantosmia. Does anyone else experience this? Does it eventually go away?
I've been plagued for about 2 years with a phantom cigarette smoke smell. I've googled this and can only come up with one explanation, which is attributed to sinus infection. Interesting phenom, since PD'ers usually lose sense of smell!?
coachmomlu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote