View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Houston,

It is normal to have an unpleasant odor and taste for several days after an extraction. This is the result of the surgery and the blood coagulating. The hard white material on your tongue is bone graft material, normal again.

However, do not rinse with anything other than salt water. And rinse very gently for the first 3 days so you don't disturb the graft and blood clot. There is no need to brush 3 times a day it will not get rid of the odor or taste.

I am curious...... did the dentist actually irrigate the surgical site out today when you saw him?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTX View Post
Update: Ok, I just talked to the OS and he assured me I don't have an infection. I asked him how he could know that and that since he took out an infected tooth that it makes sense to me that the bacteria would still be there and would infect the bone graft material as well.

He said that this is normal and the smell and taste is from all the healing that is going on and the graft doesn't need to come out. Said he does these everyday and I definately do NOT have an infection. I just don't know if this is right or not. He has an excellent bedside manner and I felt nothing during the surgery and really like him as an OS so I want to trust what he is saying.

He said for me to come in today and he will rinse the area and inject some medicine up in there that will make it feel a lot better and should help with the taste and smell a lot.

I spent the weekend on dental forums and have read so many stories about infections with bone grafts. Does all this sound legit? Thanks so much! I am just worried that this really IS an infection and we will be just covering up the symptoms and not taking care of the problem.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (02-06-2010)