Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleboricua View Post
I'm not trying to be a party pooper but realistic and accurate. Neuropathies CAN NOT be cured. EMG's is not the only test that will prove you don't have nerve damage. Skin biopsies show you exactly how your nerve damage looks like and the if it's progessing. I'm happy you think you cured yourself if that's what worked for you to cope. We all find ways to cope from our neuropathies but giving people on this site the unaccurate truth is not fair.
I had a total of 6 EMGs. I think you took the neurologist comment to heart when he was probably joking.
Welcome to PN forum, Simpleboricua.

Many of us on this forum have been here for about 10 yrs or so.
This forum goes back to a previous one, that crashed, so we took up residence here. This thread, if I am not mistaken, does not say "cure". In fact, I don't ever recall seeing the word "cure" used here because we all realize there is no cure.
(spammers may throw that word out, however, and occasionally someone from a website comes here and uses it, but they don't last long).

IMO some kinds of PN can be dealt with, by the patient himself/herself. I think that is the thrust of this particular thread.
The hereditary forms of PN (CMT and amyloidosis) are the only ones so far that we don't have weapons for. Those with autoimmune issues, can benefit from IVIG or plasmapharesis, in some cases. All the rest of the RX drugs available do nothing to change progression of PN. They are palliative only. (pain relief).

But lifestyle changes, identification of deficient vitamins/minerals, dietary changes in the cases of gluten intolerance or other food intolerances, careful choice of footware, etc all can help people reduce pain and progression.
Treatment and management of pre-diabetes, diabetes, thyroid disease, drug causes, etc, all would require some medical support. Except for some of the aggressive neurologists like Dr. Latov and his colleagues, most neurologists fall short on treating PNers.

So this is why this forum exists. Please feel free to read here and learn the stories of our many members. Each one is rather unique.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 02-01-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: fixing spelling
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (02-01-2010), malawigirl08 (05-30-2010)