Thread: Jaw Infection?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jasmine,

I may be wrong, but your description of the events that have taken place along with your current pain sounds to me like there is a lingering problem in your lower jawbone. Yes, the pain could be aggravated by your TMJ disorder...... but that is a separate issue from any lack of healing that may be going on from the infection that you had brewing in that surgical socket after the extraction.

I'm not sure why your OS told you he has never come across a patient who has had lingering pain from an extraction, especially a wisdom tooth extraction. The only thing I can say is perhaps he does not see patients for long term follow up care? I'm in dentistry for over 30 years also and have been the surgical assist on many, many hundreds of patients. I have also cared for these patients post operatively and without any question, I have seen many hundreds of patients with post op complications months to years after they've had an extraction. So this is definitely not a rare occurance as you were led to believe. At least not in dental offices that diagnostically investigate the pain that their patients come in complaining about.

I guess health care is very different in the UK than it is in the USA and I am not familiar with it at all. However, if it were me, I would make every effort to find someone who is willing to investigate your concerns further.

I found this info in a quick google search. Perhaps it is somewhat helpful or can lead you to something else that is?? You can call the IAOMT and ask for a dentist in your area. They may be able to help you.

The dentists listed below are from the internet..... I have no idea about their reputation.

the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, Huddersfield, on (01484) 514451

Wright, Stewart BDS
George Square Dental Centre, 6 George Square
Greenock, Renfrewshire, International PA15 1QP
Phone: 044-1475631010
Fax: -

White, Andrew DDS
630 High Road, Finchley,
London, International NI2 ONU
Phone: 208-492-0020
Fax: 208-445-3537

Please know that you are not alone with this situation at all. It is not your imagination and I really believe it should be evaluated more thoroughly.

I will keep looking for you....... please keep in touch and let me know what you come up with!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33 View Post
Hello all. Here is an update on my situation:

I managed to get an earlier appointment to go back to the hospital. It was the senior consultant I saw this time, so I guess that I have to trust that he knows what he is doing and what he is looking for. Although, he said that in 30years, he had not come across anyone still complaining of this kind of pain after 5months following surgery. (I find that quite surprising! - Surely I am not alone in this???) Anyway, he took a look in my mouth and said the gum has completely healed (an opinion shared by my own dentist). I however, am frustrated by the fact that there seems to be a small pocket left which traps food (this was the whole reason for getting the tooth out in the first place, because the gum trapped food!) Apparently, this "pocket" is perfectly normal and no cause for concern.
The consultant sent me for an x-ray to see what was going on in the jaw, but said he didn't expect it to show anything abnormal...... The x-ray didn't show anything abnormal and he said it looked exactly as he would expect it to look after this length of time. "Why the pain then?", I asked. I was told that as there was nothing to see, there was nothing to treat and basically I should just try and get back to my normal life as soon as possible.
So, basically, it's tough luck, just get on with it then?

It has however, been discovered that I have TMJdisorder which is so far progressed that there isn't very much can be done about it. I have to wait for an appointment to go back and get fitted for a soft splint to see if that helps. I have been aware of a problem with my jaw for 20 years (clicking and popping and sticking at times) but no doctor or dentist I spoke to about it seemed to think there was cause for concern, and now I'm told it's too far gone to do anything about it???????

So, the situation now is that I guess despite the lack of CT Scan, I have to trust that the senior consultant knows his stuff and there is no infection in the jaw or anything else nasty going on (an opinion shared by my own denstist). I am fairly convinced, although there is still a small element of doubt in my mind. I concede, however, that although I am still in pain, the pain has not got any worse over the past few weeks, which if there was a progressive infection, I guess it would. The pain must therefore just be down to tender tendons and joint pain from TMJ disorder, made worse by having my jaw clamped open for surgery. I suppose I will just have to learn to live with it. This, on top of the trouble I have with M.E./C.F.S. is not a joyful prospect, and ever so frustrating. I just have to hope that when I [I]evenually[I] get fitted with a jaw splint, that over time my symptoms will improve.

I am now going to read up on TMJ disorder and see if there's anything I can do to help myself.

To anyone reading this in a similar situation, good luck to you. I hope your outcome is better than mine. Be assured by the fact that my consultant said he hadn't come across this in 30 years of practice - so that must mean that for the majority of people have no further problems. All the best!

Any further advice or info would still be appreciated.
Many thanks. - Jasmine
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (02-02-2010), Jasmine33 (03-11-2010)