View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy Hi there

I am a bit late to this thread...lost the site address when we cleaned up the pc and reloaded everything. But...for what it`s worth this is my story,.
I am afraid I had OCD before Parkinson`s disease was diagnosed so I cannot account for my Requip being responsible for any further quirks of mine.

Are you ready for the list? And I`m not making light of the situation...but I am sure you will have to smile or at least raise an eyenbrow at some of the things I got up to.Atg the time I didn`t understand what was going on.I hadn`t heard of OCD but looking back I sure as hell was suffering from something or other and it seems as if it was the "said" condition.

1. I had to bathe at least 3 times a day...in antiseptic....have a clean towel each time and a clean set of clothes.
2. Was obsessional about plugs in sockets.Before going out [and this occurred at a time when my life was ridiculously full and active...late teens/early 20`s]
before going out I would have to touch every plug...look at it OUT of the socket and actually say out loud...THAT I HAD REMOVED THE PLUG FROM THE SOCKET....guess how long THAT took !!!!
I was terrified of a fire in the home whilst I was out ...and that my cat would be injured...so I nearly re-homed the cat to try and allay my fears.
3. I had to fold towels with the label at the top right hand corner.Small towels,bath sheets,tea towels...you name it...ALL the same way.

And finally...and this one will make you smile....I had to hang my knickers out on the washing line by the side seam....with all the gussets facing the house.
HOW SAD IS THAT??? WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ABOUT???
If I came inside the house I would know if I had hung a pair out differently and would have to go change it. My washing line was the neatest in England...looked as if I had measured the pegging out distance between garments with a ruler.
These days they are thrown into the tumble dryer and take their chances with the rest of the wash...

As a small child my hair was long and mum used to plait[braid] mine and my twin sisters before school each morning.I would know if the parting down the back of my head was slightly crooked and she would have to begin again.
She must have had the patience of a saint.I wasn`t spoilt...just had to have everything neat and orderly.My mum should have made me go to school looking like an urchin I guess but working class folks were too proud to do that.

But I must add that I was labelled a perfectionist...and liked order to my life....or I couldn`t function and I seriously feel that this sort of gruelling standard I set for myself played a huge part in me arriving at Parkinson`s.

I tend to be more laid back these days...a bit late uh?

So...can`t say that being on Requip has affected me but maybe I consciously try to be the other way now...I must have been an absolute nightmare to be around so am making up for it. lol
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote