View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swmnupstrm View Post
Can anyone address the first post in this thread?? Many thanks.

Marsha

Getting back to the original topic :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swmnupstrm View Post
I posted a few months ago about tingling and nerve pain in the feet after I started a walking program, probably in bad shoes.

Saw Professory of Neuromuscular medicine at UF Shands in Jacksonville. After conduction tests, he told me I have neuropathy. As I had had a positive tinel's sign when I visited my podiatrist a couple of weeks ago, I asked him about tarsal tunnel, and he said he "couldn't see any evidence of it in tests, but it's hard to diagnose sometimes". He took 15 vials of blood for numerous blood tests, some of which take 6 weeks to complete. I follow up in 2 months. He prescribed neurontin, up to 1800 mg daily.

Yesterday, I saw my podiatrist. Thyroid, diabetes, SED, B12 all ruled out. She asked if anything was said at Shands about tarsal tunnel, and I gave her the above statement. She had strapped my feet two weeks ago, and I told her it helped some. She wants me to be fit for orthotics, but does not have an appointment open until the 22nd; and they take 6-8 weeks to come back.

I am kind of beside myself at this point. Walking does not seem to bother me, but when I quit, that's when it's bad. I tried an ace bandage on ankle and arch overnight, but when I took it off the next day, the buzzing was crazy. Ice seems to help somewhat.

It just seems like this is a long time for me to wait to get some help. I am so afraid of damaging myself further before they figure this out. I am taking advil and aleve on my own - they don't do much for pain and I find methadone doesn't cut it. I am doing stretches I was taught in physical therapy. I don't know how far I should be walking, if I should get some sort of insoles on my own, whether to pick up some night braces or if they will make it worse, or whether to try the ace bandages again.

Do you have any suggestions for me while I wait for something definitive - or at least more near to a diagnosis?

Thanks for your time.

I have started on 1000 B12 a day.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote