View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
Laura,
The original announcement by Merck was an EU wide announcement, that said there would be a 'world wide' shortage running from late 2009 through till 2011. We are unaware of what is happening in non-english speaking countries, or countries that have no socialized or insurance based health systems. I do not believe that this is a matter relating to ex british territory as the the notices relating to shortage appear to come from Merck and it's subsidiaries. It would seem likely at the moment that this is some kind of bidding up strategy that pharma is using. The possible connection to Britain is health service style, with Canada having something fairly similar to the UK, and Australia having something halfway between the US and UK model. If there is no real shortage, and this is bidding up, then surely there should be some kind of regulatory org, perhaps the WHO, with some kind of watchdog capacity. I am as stated in other posts, completely bewildered by this. At this time none of it makes sense.

While there are other levodopa based medications available the problem comes for those patients who are settled on a particular regime AND who have not found benefit from generic substitutes, OR who have great difficulties changing medications resulting in weeks of adjustment. Also for the elderly who may not be in charge of their own regimen of drugs, in whom any deterioration may not even be connected by their carers to a change in medication.

Down through the rabbit hole again.............
Sorry, didn't mean to make light of it by suggesting alternatives...I know some of us really only respond to the brand name variety and have very little room for tweaking drugs in an efficacious way.

I guess I'm going on the the omissions in this official notice. I don't see this notice anywhere on the US PD org sites and nothing from the FDA- they would surely issue some sort of warning. Maybe I overlooked something? Also checked the official PD org in France, as that's the only other language I can read with some fluency- no mention there either and they are on socialized system- though hardly an indicator of the entire pharma situation in the EEC. Maybe my suspicious nature wonders that they didn't term it "global supply shortage", whether true or not, to cover their *****? I see a legal team hard at work behind this.

I suspect what you say about the bidding may be true; largely, it seems mostly smoke and mirrors at this point - that is even more reprehensible than economics.

I know the EPDA has issued a statement and that there seems to be a buzz on the UK PD forum, has anyone been able to phone them for more info? Seems likely they would have an inside scoop of some sort...not that they would willingly share it!

Anyway, thank you for the clarification

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (02-04-2010)