View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Not know my limits?

I have been somewhat out of sorts as of late and not sure what to do. I think maybe I'm in the situation where I think too much of my abilities(as well as some people around me), and then there are those that think too little of my abilities. I get caught in this "I'll show you" game. I don't think I'm winning.
To give you a little background: I'm going back to school to be a sign language interpreter. I have my voc. rehab worker and disability rights and resources workers who says that there is no reason that I can't do well in school. On the other hand, I have the counselor at school in the disabilities office who told me that she had read my evaluations and could not see how I could process the information fast enough and translate it into sign simultaneously. She took some of the classes herself and said that she couldn't do it and felt that I couldn't either. She is very insistent that I look for another path. 1) I don't want another path. 2) when you're in a wheelchair and can't do math hardly at all (good-bye computer sciences), then the options are hugely limited.

The reason this is so stressful right now is because after ASL 4(American Sign Language) you take a 30 minute interview test, if you pass it then you go on to the actual interpreting classes. That's where people tend to start flunking out. I'm in ASL 4 now and will be finished in May.

To top all of this off, I found out today that my surgery date to have the baclofen pump placed has been set for Feb. 18th. I had asked the surgeon to wait till after March 1st because the short sessions would be over and there would be a 1 week break and I wouldn't have to miss any school or go to school just 3 days after having surgery. Apparently, he couldn't swing it.

I'm sorry for the rant. I just don't know what to do. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew but don't have it in me to give up. School is the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning. How do I know who is correct? I just feel this is killing me.

Thanks for reading.
Phyxius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (02-06-2010)