View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Feeling Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
I received this on my Google Alert. This is a very significant study - 36 MILLION Medicare patients were studied. That makes it pretty valid. (i got this from here: http://www.onearth.org/node/1859 )

I guess I am going to have to throw my wasp spray away! Is t here any "natural" spray that can be used for household pests (insect repellant - bees and wasps, ants, etc.)?

Someone told me to use Avon's "Skin So Soft" as a mosquito repellant, and it works wonderfully! When I clean windows in the fall and spring, I wipe some Skin So Soft in the windowsills and it keeps gnats and spiders away. It also has a pleasant soft pine smell. (and YES! I can smell it; so it may not be as soft a smell as I think!)

Peggy
Oh, Peggy, you don't want to scare the spiders away...they trap and eat the bad guys.

As for nontoxic approach, you can always look into having the house inspected and treated by professionals who take a less toxic approach; look for someone who practice Integrative Pest Management. I had a yellow jacket hive on the inside of the wall in what is now my son's room. Talk about scary, hundreds of bees flying up from hole in basement wall and up through the floor vent. Consulted the yellow pages and the guy pumped the hive full of diatomacious earth- it looks like flour but is deadly to insects as it cuts through their exoskeleton. Apparently, it can be ordered on the internet, but keep in mind...it looks like flour Who knows what you end up with that route?

I've never found Skin So Soft to work for me. I can vouch for the power of a Vitamin B supplement in scaring away mosquitoes...doesn't seem like it will work, but it is amazing! Takes a while to build it up in your system, but apparently in taking it you end up not smelling so enticing anymore. I have read that Repel Lemon Eucalyptus does the trick in warding off a variety of creepy flying things; it is entirely plant based.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote