Thread: Groundhog Day
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclelops View Post
Bob

I hope you have one of those giant horsepower, self propelled snow blowers like we do! You are going to get nailed! You are getting more snow than here in the midwest! ....... That groundhog is useless.
Nope, only commercial outfits have that kind of equipment in the inner-city. Some out in the counties, maybe, but I live in the 'Inner Harbor' area. Row homes and slightly hilly. Kinda like D.C.'s Georgetown, but with hills. Causes problems getting up streeets with snow or ice.

Its coming out of the South, along with the Western front.
When it comes out of the south it picks up moisture from the Gulf
and also from the Atlantic. Here on the Chesapeake, it picks up a little from the Bay, as well - so we really get nailed.
Bad storms in the summer when it comes out of the South, and big snow in the winter. But usually only one time in the month of Feb. This'll be the second time over 20" in less than 4 weeks - and more to come!
Due to the cyclonic swirl anti-clockwise, it drives as NE, which is where the Nor'Easter term comes from, but it actually is moving from S to N.
We usually get Canadian fronts (from the N & NW) with snow in the winter, maybe 1"-3", but when its from the South..... watch out!

We're not prepared for this, below the Mason-Dixon line. I heard on the news this a.m., that this city is already $10 million over budget for salt & snow removal.
dahlek (02-05-2010)