View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need Help

Hi - I'm new to your site today.

It isn't just the weight gain with the two drugs - it's how they made me gain: I had to be actively crunching something in my mouth ALL the time. I was manic and out of control. I was on them one at a time - couldn't handle either one.

Right now, however, I am in some of the worst neuralgia of my life. I have MS and it will set off the trigeminal nerves in my face. I take one Cymbalta at night for the pain - I won't take more because it also makes me gain weight, and I use heat, Lidoderm patches, and Lortab when it gets really bad. Lortab just takes a tiny edge off, but I think the placebo effect makes me think it SHOULD be working. Anyway, the past 2 weeks have been non-stop pain, plus reacting to sound and movement - I have never been so out of my head with it like this for so long before. My neurologist cut down my Amitriptyline 3 weeks ago (she gives it to me at night to help me hold still) to see if I would be more wakeful in the daytime. As I tossed last night I began to wonder if Amitriptyline was used for nerve pain and on the web today found that it used to be a drug of choice in the "old days" before gabapentin. Have any of you used Amitriptyline for nerve pain? Has it worked?
pwells1997 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote