View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark, I never had a neuro-psych evaluation. I did however have a visual evoked potential done after the mishap. The results of that test did show some slowing but it was never discussed with me as to the significance of that and how great the slowing was in the grand scheme of things. The only reason I knew was that I had to get my records and I read that it showed abnormal latencies "indicative of chiasmatic dysfunction and bilateral certical dysfunction". What ever that means. The recommendation was clinical correlation, which meant follow up-- never happened.

When you receive an injury during an operation, things can go one of two ways after you survive: 1) They bend over back wards to give you the best medical care possible in hopes to keep you and your family happy and limit the financial damage. 2) They do as little as possible in order to make it look like nothing ever happened, or at least like there was no evidence that it happened on their watch and could've happened at any time. I had been left to deal with the aftermath by myself and couldn't remember my name some days. So, I really was a good candidate for number 2 with no one down there who had my back.

I had a WAIS-R, not sure if that's what you're talking about. Don't know what the results of that were. They threw out the results because it was done at a time of stress because it was the day after a good friend had been killed. Because they were trying to get me approved for school they were able to use results from a wais-r that I took to get into mensa before the accident.

As far as the ASL-- I have already decided that if I do graduate and go to work, I will only work in a social work setting one on one with clients. I can't do the legal or medical setting which requires going from English to ASL to signed English which is really 3 different languages. In the legal setting you have to sign exactly everything said which is signed English but make a deaf person understand in ASL-- too much. I also can't do the big convention or presentation settings either. If there are multiple things going on around me then I go haywire. Right now I don't know if I will make it past the 1st interpreting class or the interview process.
I'm just going to *try* to concentrate on the ASL class that I'm in now and the upcoming surgery. Those have me about ready to jump from a bridge. They are enough for the time being.
Phyxius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote