View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The WAIS-R, or Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale- Revised should have the scores to show some of your processing capabilities. The 'stressed' result is very worthwhile because it shows your brain in a stressed situation. You need to be careful to not take on too many tasks that require your brain to perform in a non-stress environment. This is setting you up for failure.

One of the biggest shortcomings of neuro-psych assessments is the subjects preparation by lowering stress levels. The neuro-psych who administered my first neuro-psych assessment was completely oblivious to the meaning and value of environmental and other stresses. He commented about how a noisy leaf blower working outside during some of the assessment had bothered me. He thought this was me being overly dramatic. He also discounted my struggle with the visual clutter in his office.

A later mini-neuro-psych done by a Social Security hired psychologist understood my struggles with visual stimulation and made a few changes in his office to lower the visual clutter.

I can't imagine ever being able to do sign language interpreting. My first reaction to visual over-stimulation is to close my eyes. Not a good idea for ASL.

I thought SEE Sign never took hold. I had friends learning it back in the 1970's. I guess they don't call it SEE Sign (Sign Exact English) anymore.

Legal and medical interpretation would be a nightmare with the addition of SEE.

Hopefully, you can find some opportunities to work with very young people. Persons with a damaged brain can be far more tolerant of the struggles of young children, especially when it comes to comprehension issues. In my experience, the young ones seem to connect with the struggles of the brain injured adult. Maybe it has something to do with the lesser intensity of the eyes. The forceful eyes of some adults who try to work with little ones is counter-productive. You may have a predisposition to success with the little ones.

Have you ever talked with an attorney about your situation? Even at this late date, you may have something worth pursuing. Your cognitive struggles and the dismissing attitude of the doctors should give you a chance at extending the statute of limitations. You have a long life ahead of you. You need to protect any rights you may have.

btw, Do you know what percentile MENSA uses as a qualifier? Many of my WAIS-III scores were above 99th percentile. The WAIS is not designed to measure IQ's above 140. My neuro-psych examiner used my very high IQ against me saying I could not have low memory and processing scores with high IQ scores unless I was faking it. He totally dismissed the malingering scores that showed no malingering. I guess he thought I was so intelligent that I could even fake out the malingering test.

My most recent neuro-psych also came to the same conclusion. I scored 49 out 0f 50 on each of the two malingering tests. 50 is a perfect 'no malingering' score. I think neuro-psychs are intimidated by subjects who test higher than the examiner on IQ tests.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Phyxius (02-06-2010)