View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Allergy Shots

Few allergies are so dangerous - to wasp & bee stings - as to warrant allergy shots. Even years of injections cannot guarantee any "cure". Actually, I know many who took years of injections for bees & wasp stings and still need to keep emergency injectables to treat themselves.

If I were you, I'd would have taken him off the the shots right away. Nasal saline spray works fantastically. If it gets really bad, a bit of decongestant liquid or spray can solve it. There are many good drugs and aerosols for asthma. Ten years of injections and my sister still has asthma. They just aren't that effective.

Even now, I'd take him off the shots. It would be great if he wasn't on such a cocktail f drugs. Is this for proven bipolar or is he just severely ADD/ADHD? What kind of behavioral treatments have been tried? Have you talked to MrsD about non-drug treatments that might help tremendously.

Atypical antipsychotics to not cure anything. They depress a lot of frontal lobe activity. The drug someone into placidity. Antipsychotics are popular in prisons and nursing homes for violent and agitated people. They are highly implicated in diabetes in even young slender children. We have NO IDEA AT ALL at what kind of changes those kind of drugs will cause to a child's developing brain.

It costs a great deal more and involves a lot more effort and time, but there are a lot of behavioral approaches to behaviors like this. I know a lot more about these things now for I have an autistic grandson and he is virtually uncontrollable at the age of 4.
Parents can learn alot about these therapies and even learn to do them themselves (takes training sessions). With one out of every 166 children now being diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum, the need for society and the public schools to help meet these children's needs.

We have to make such hard decisions. My children struggled to not treat my granddaughter's bipolarity when she was little, and with a lot of behavioral reinforcement, she is now in Junior High and doing well in school. Not to say it couldn't manifest again, but for now, things are stable. With my grandson, they are also avoiding meds. They took a 6-day road trip (3 days both way) rather than face the impossible scenarios of having this 4-year-old on a plane. But he is in a good public school program for the past year and he goes to public school every day for a full-immersion program. But that is just for now -- who knows?

When it comes to St John's wort, I would strictly stay away from it as it is capable of triggering mania. As far as the decongestant sudaphed, as his pdoc and your phamacist, too. Pharmacists are great resources - for docs as well as patients.

Teri