View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=DesertFlower;618468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
I know that panic attacks are personal but I'm wondering if you can point to an event or a drug that may have initiated them. Some drugs can bring them on or make them worse. Did you know that anger and panic can't exist in your body at the same time? Seriously, my psychologist let me in on that one. So if you can try to leave the environment you are in while you are having one, think of something that makes you angry and then, once it's gone, think of something peaceful/something you love that makes you feel safe. Try that.
QUOTE]

Annie, you are right about this. I found by experimentation that the only way to make my panic go away is to get angry first. When the fear was really bad I listened to heavy metal music that felt full of anger with lyrics I could relate to (I am laughing about this now but it worked for me and I was desperate for something to help me). Once I was able to get angry, then the fear went away and then I had a chance to think positive thoughts so I could start healing.

DeliaDee, Mestinon makes me nervous if I take too much at one time. I had to adjust my dose to take smaller amounts more times throughout the day. To avoid the nervousness (and other side effects) I only take 30 mg at a time.

I hope this helps
I love that idea of forcing oneself to get angry. Thinking about it, it makes absolute sense. The problem with anxiety is that it causes your emotions to go everywhere. Everything turns into a potential cause of trouble be it medical, financial, etc. Anger would enable one to focus. I always like to get my anger out whenever I feel it or talk about something that scares me because when you keep it inside, it tends to get bigger and take over. When you let it out, you control it rather than letting it control you. With the panic attacks, I've pretty much been depending on the fact that I know they're panic attacks, and will, therefore, not hurt me, to try to calm myself down but clearly it doesn't always work. I like your method of using music to get myself angry. I'll definitely try that.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to take my dose of Mestonin down to 15mg every couple of hours see how that goes for me. I've always been sensitive to medications. It's not really bothered me since I always refuse drugs unless it's absolutely positively necessary - as in this case. Even the horror in my neck is dealt with using salsalate which is easier on the stomach than aspirin and with not so many potential problems as ibuprofen. I won't take anything stronger. So I might need a slower, more careful dosage upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------

I really can't thank everyone enough for responding to my problem and offering advice and a caring ear. You all are amazing and wonderful and I'm so grateful and thrilled that I found this forum.
DeliaDee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (02-06-2010)