View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

soccer,

Like the others said, you need to put your health above basketball. You are having classic post concussion symptoms. You also may have a problem with your cervical vertebra. Have you been checked out by a chiropractor who specializes in upper cervical issues? NUCCA is a good place to start for a referral. Check out http://www.nucca.org/find_doctor.php

The sound issue is common. It is more an anxiety issue but it is caused by the concussion. It may be linked to your light headedness, too.

You need a good medical work-up with blood work. All of your hormones, B-12, folate, D3, Thyroid (T3, T4, TSH), fasting blood sugar, serum insulin. These can all effect how your brain works and reacts to daily events. D3 impact the hormones so it is very important. Most people, especially in northern areas, have chronic low D3. Our diets and lack of sun exposure cause low D3. My wife and I take 3-5000 IU's of D3 as our physician's recommendation. .

The anxiety like issues are from your body getting either over-stimulated or just out of whack with your adrenal system. You might be going through a fight or flight adrenal response. It causes you heart to race and your senses to become much more sensitive. These senses then pick-up your heart beat and also zero in on all of the sounds around you.

I have this problem. Once my brain has started to 'pay attention' to all of the ambient (background) sounds, I have to remove myself to another area with different sounds. For example, I could be in church during singing.

At first, I heard others singing as a group. Then, my brain would start picking out individual voices. First just one, then two and three. If I was not headed for the door by the third voice, I could crash badly when the fourth or fifth voice has become pronounced.

I am on a medication now that greatly reduces these symptoms. I do not recommend the medication route if you can avoid it. You need to learn to remove yourself from these situations. In my experience, each time it happens, it causes the next time to happen with less stimulation. Your brain develops a bad habit of doing this and it become a big problem.

Have you started a nutrition regimen yet? You really need to get going on this if you haven't. It will make a big difference but it takes weeks for your brain to get the benefits. I have listed my vitamin and other supplements on a thread with "Waste of Kaitlyn." You could lower the dosage a bit for your body weight. I am 180 pounds.

Your basketball could also be triggering some adrenaline response. This is what happens when you get 'psyched' for a game or from a game.

Are you staying away from caffeine? You should be. It can mess up your adrenal system.

Have you bought some foam ear plugs yet. You need them too. They will help in the lunch room and noisy classes. They do not make you deaf,. They just lower the volume, mostly by reducing the background noise. You also need to be sitting in the front row as close to the teacher as possible. Your visual focus on the teacher's lips will help your brain focus on his/her voice.

If you think these things are too embarrassing to do, consider this. Your brain needs to heal. Any time you get these overwhelming situations and reactions, you are delaying healing, and maybe even setting yourself back. Tell your friends that you need the ear plugs while your brain heals.

I tell people I have an auditory processing disorder. If they ask further. I tell them that my brain cannot filter out the background sounds so my brain gets overwhelmed. You need to understand this physiological event so you can relate it to others.

My post mentioned above also has a link to Dr Shutz book. Here it is again: http://www.givebackorlando.com/hepusef/hepindex.html

He refers to these situations as Head Injured Moments. He has a complete system for learning to 'fix' them. The 'advanced techniques' section has some great information. Print the whole book out (150 pages) and put it in a three ring binder and read it with a highlighter. You mother needs to read it too. Some of it is aimed at more serious brain injuries but it has fantastic info for post concussion syndrome.

You need to understand that you have to work at recovery. It does not just happen over time.

And, about basketball. What if you fall and hit your head, or just bump heads with another player going up for a rebound? You will be in sorry shape. It is not worth messing up the rest of your life for a game of basketball. Later, you may be better able to tolerate the risks. Right now, your risk level is very high.

Print out this post and the others. Highlight the great advice you are getting.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-10-2010), Hockey (02-06-2010)