View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Intestinal Paralysis

Hello Everyone,

I read a post by Nicky a few days ago where she mentioned intestinal paralysis and myasthenia gravis. Nicky, could you explain some more about this? You mentioned that you were familiar with some cases where people had both mg and intestinal problems.

The reason I ask is that I have had some gi problems which I have never found an answer for. Basically, I will bloat up until I look 9+ months pregnant. I have two photos of me which are quite dramatic: one with me huge (and I mean huge) at 11pm and one with me looking quite normal the next morning at 9 I seriously have been offered bus seats and had someone insist they carry my basket of books up to the cashier when I look like this! Lol. Like most of the symptoms I have it started out sporadically but now it's pretty much just continous. Except that when I went on mestinon I discovered it all disappeared after a couple of days. It was like a miracle - you can imagine how horrible it felt to be huge and giant and bloated. Not to give too much information, but the bloating was never associated with gas. I'm not sure whether the mestinon helps because it's just extreme abdominal weakness (my stomach goes way out after I eat, it's like I have no muscle tone to hold anything in), or if it has to do with the intestines working better. I am, how shall I say this, more productive when I'm on mestinon.

Also, I've never had any of the bad side effects of mestinon. It's like the mestinon is doing for my gi tract what it does for my muscles - just making it stronger and working better.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Nicky, can you shed any more light on this? I'm thinking of going to my gi and insisting on some sort of motility test. He's the type of doctor who has only one answer to fit all cases - I was told "you need to cut out dairy" several times even though I had cut out dairy to no avail and I don't have the usual gas/diarrhea symptoms. When I told him I got the same symptoms eating sushi he said, "there must have been some dairy in there". Uh, no there wasn't, I had the list of ingredients. Anyway, my point is I'm going to have to go and insist but I'm thinking that this needs to be investigated. Has anyone had any tests like this? What should I ask for? Because it's going to be a me asking rather than a him brainstorming type of situation.

Any help or wisdom on this would be appreciated!

Ally
bluesky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote