Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Mestinon will move things along...

BUT...

Gas can come from other problems, and even people without MG can blow up like that!

Candida infections in the bowel will produce tons of gas when you eat anything sugary or high glycemic. Also, people who have dietary fructose intolerance will blow up like that.

So try this... cut out all sugar... all fruit, all high fructose corn syrup for 2 weeks. See how you feel then?

The main neurotransmitter in the GI tract is serotonin. But acetylcholine does work, during some actions.

Use of Beano for eating veggies...esp broccoli, cabbage, lentils, chick peas, is wise as you age.
Using lactase enzyme...the new Ultra forms can help with gas generated from dairy. There is a Lactaid milk with calcium that is very nice. (I use this).

But many people don't consider sugar... especially fructose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption
Quote:
Fructose is absorbed in the small intestine without help of digestive enzymes. However, even in healthy people, only about 25-50 g of fructose per sitting can be absorbed. Persons with fructose malabsorption may absorb less than 25 g per sitting (amount is arbitrary determined according to investigation of fructose absorption is many individuals)[5].In the large intestine the unabsorbed fructose osmotically reduces the absorption of water and is metabolized by normal colonic bacteria to short chain fatty acids and the gases hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane. The abnormal increase in hydrogen is detected with the hydrogen breath test.
I think some IBS patients are really fructose intolerant.
I discovered this myself, 2 yrs ago. My life has changed radically and for the better since I followed this elimination diet.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (02-06-2010)