View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi jeanie. My name is Lauren. I was diagnosed at the age of 13 with Bipolar. I can tell you that the reason things seem to be "getting worse" is because she is now in puberty and those hormones that are CONSTANTLY going make the mood swings very severe. I was also hopitalized at 13 because of this. I am 22 years old now, and happy to say, i've learned to deal with it more... and trying to make the best out of therapy. a loving family is very much needed in her case. If your husband is not able to show her how he cares, then make it your priority to show her how you understand that she is really just having a tough time but that she can get through it. also i would love to chat with your daughter, having a "same diagnosis pen pal" helps alot. feel free to write back Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie1234 View Post
I am new to this site and not sure if I need advice on doing the right thing for my daughter or not, or if I need to know that I'm not losing my mind. She has been diagnosed with BP, ODD, ADHD and PDD since she was 6 years old. Things have only gotten worse as time has gone by. Now she is a few days away from turning 13. I do not have the energy or the know how to help her anymore. Her father (my X) does not help at all. She receives full services from the behavioral health department thru the county and nothing seems to help.

Now hospitalized for the past 2 1/2 weeks, Dr.'s have changed all of her medications and are currently trying to put her in a Residential Treatment program. I have medical insurance thru the County I live in and they want the hospital to put her in a State Hospital for them to pay for it. I don't agree at all! What can a Residential Treatment Hospital do that a State Hospital cannot? I need some ammunition when the county calls me. I just don't think that a straight jacket will do any good... It'll be worse!

Or if they won't budge, do I just bring her home and try to deal with her disability as best as I can?
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-07-2010)