View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hockey and Mark,
I wrote an argument for a class last semester, there was a quote in it by Hans Jonas (late philosopher). It kind of sums up how I have up to this point approached my chosen ignorance. I thought you guys may-- or may not-- find it interesting.

"That there can be (and mostly is) too little knowledge has always been realized; that there can be too much of it stands suddenly before us in a blinding light. ...The ethical command here entering the enlarged stage of our power is: never to violate the right to that ignorance which is a condition for the possibility of authentic action; to respect the right of each human life to find a way to be a surprise to itself."
I know Jonas was talking about genetic testing here. My ignorance made me act upon the situation with blind hope that I don't think I would have had otherwise. I think that if I had been told earlier on how bad things were going to be-- especially with the sheer lack of support that I had, I would have never made the tremendous progress that I have.

Life has brought me to the point now that I have made enough progress and the need is there to know the extent of what I'm dealing with. I hope I'm ready now.

BTW, Hockey I was active in MENSA a few years in Florida before the mishap. I didn't find it to be tremendously fun. My chapter was just a lot of fogies that wanted to do touristy Florida stuff (transplants). Then there was the ones who did nothing but play games-- puzzle games, word games, math games, you name it. ICK. I joined the pig SIG, just what it sounds like. You go out to different restaurants all the time to eat. I was born in FL. So, I didn't enjoy. Everyone there was older than me at the time. I didn't renew my membership. I could now but I feel that I really wouldn't belong now and I have a hard time being around a lot of people. Not worth the membership fee.
Phyxius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (02-08-2010)