View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

When Oreo was about 2 yrs old... and was relatively new to our upNorth (see my profile album)...

I said one day, go over there on the big rock (there are only a million + rocks up there) so I can take your picture. And she just got up and went there and posed for me. No kidding!

That sobered me up, because I had suspected the small language abilities... TUNA, NO, DOWN, IN... etc.. which always worked. Now I had to consider more complex understanding!

What gets really dicey is when they try to talk to YOU.
This will really blow you away.

1). I had a ginger cat once --who said "GOOOOOINNNGGG" every time we put her in the carrier and either took her to the vet or on vacation. One summer she was in her carrier on the dock ready for the trip back in the boat to the cars, and said clearly..... NOOOOOOO GOOOOOOINGGGGG....

2) Sheba, our very old 23+ old Queen.... calls me MA. This started when my son was old enough to take the bus to school and would run in the door coming home, calling ....Maaaaaa!
So then Sheba started going up my husband when I was at work or doing errands, and saying MAAAAAAAA??? And he would say Ma is shopping or at work, and she'd accept that and settle back down!

3) Oreo, our youngest, who I KNOW understands language, says Oooouuuu, OOOOuuuu, for "out" She only does that when she wants me to open a door.

So some cats will try to imitate language if they understand it.
Don't be surprised. It might be a talent, and not every one of them does it, but eventually you will get a kitty who can do it!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (02-09-2010), Kitty (02-08-2010), SallyC (02-08-2010)