View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Genetics and Law

Dear Ms. Olson,

I am in complete agreement with your view. I was under the understanding that the Genome project made the government the gatekeeper or owner of genetic information on U.S. citizens. I would like to know how the pharma industry got the genetic information in the first place. Genetic information belongs to the individual. The fact that the information is attached to a unidentifiable ID., does not release the ownership of the genetic information. I donated my genetic information to NINDS on the condition that it would be shared by any researcher who wanted to use my mutations in his research. My mutation information may be required for research for cancer, dopa responsive dystonia, alzheimer's disease, any neurological condition, Depression or any pschological condition, and any physiological condition.

I don't buy pharmas' argument that if they are not allowed to patent the research attained from using my genitic information, they will not do genetic research. Someone will do the research, leading to another pharma. co. doing other research with the same genetic info. I may even force the pharma companies to work togeather and allow more freedom of exchange of information to use other reseach to build on and to avoid duplication. It could only benefit the patients.
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
olsen (02-08-2010)