Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Hi Mykinzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykinzie View Post
Hello there:

I have a question about the Spinal Cord Stimulator. Is this in replacement of pain medication?? I just started on a Fentynal patch yesterday (25mcg) and i have never heard of SCS before. If I did have one inserted, would I still need to have this Fentynal patch on? Or does it replace Narcotics for pain management?? thank you for patience. Im not very knowledgeable about all these pain management options. Mykinzie......
Alot depends on what type pain you are dealing with.
I too have used the Fentanyl patches for about a year now. I have nerve damage to both legs. The patches are wonderful for pain relief, however, in my case.....like with most opioids, my tolerance will continue to go up and I would need more and more of this powerful med.
The expense of the patches, plus the side effects and long-term effects (such as depleated hormones, etc) lead us to the option of getting this device.
When we have a chronic pain issue that surgery won't help, the Dr. may suggest the SCS. There is an evaluation to take to make sure we are a good candidate. If so, there is a trial period. If the trial proves effective, then the permanent stimulator is implanted.
The SCS is not a cure, nor does it get rid of the pain. It simply 'covers over' the pain with a soothing tingling sensation. Many people are able to back off the pain meds considerably. Breakthru meds are possibly still needed however.
There is a new forum specifically for SCS and pain pumps at the top of this forum under the 'stickies'.

Let me know if you have more questions - feel free to send me a PM or simply post on the SCS forum and you will get good feedback from others with these units.

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote