View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
We had a old Lexmark printer (that worked just fine) but it won't work with Win 7. And there is no driver for it on the net anymore. So it is being retired. ( I won't let hubby get rid of it yet since it will work with our XP refurbished laptop I think. Our old HP scanner/printer that we retired is compatible so it is now working with the new Win7 laptop.

I know how you are feeling, as getting our laptop fixed and running the new one has been a huge hassle for us! Hubby just ran his restore discs. We had to use DVD's for the extra space.

You might want to run system restore discs if you don't have them. If your harddrive goes, you'll need them for the system restore.
(I thought back up harddrives saved everything..and that was a huge mistake for us).

Welcome back!

Everything works FINE!!! I had no ink in the black printer cartridge
lol
It accepted a command print. I just turned on and then off (the printer I mean). I typed something in wordpad, and I clicked on the print option, and the printer came on, but just started shooting out plain paper. (so I know the printer is connected properly). Then I re-set it one more time, I typed something, I printed it out, The machine acted correctly, but the page came out blank. that's when I checked the printer cardridge.
Okay, one problem solved.

And I really hope I get to come back for the next problem because it's a doozy.

This morning, I get up, walk over to the computer, look down at the modem and the last light (which should be green), is RED. The internet light I mean.

Now I have to tell you that for the last 22 or so days (while the computer was in the shop), I never unplugged or turned off the modem. It still did the 3 green light thing. I simply thought that when I got the computer back, I'd simply plug in the ethernet cable in the back of the computer and it would be connected once again to the modem.

Last night, when I first tried to go online, (read my first post), I got the "error" message using Internet Explorer, so I did the diagnostic thing as I was prompted to do and everything was just fine.

I went to all my favorite sites, I downloaded my anti-spyware thing (which I have been using for 2 years) and I have a lifetime thing. I just had to put in my registration codes. That worked fine. The whole thing worked fine. I shut the computer off and went to bed.

This morning, as I just said, I walked over and saw the red light. I said "hmm, let's do the diagnostic thing once again.

this time I got a notification that it's my modem/router (I don't have a router, just a dsl modem). It prompted me to turn it off for 3 minutes, check everything and turn it back on.

I did as prompted to do, and it took a while but as you can see, I am obviously connected to the internet, I have 4 green lights on my modem, and I'm here on neurotalks.

so what the heck is going on? Is it the fact that I had the modem still going for over 3 weeks, even though it had no computer attached to it?

Do I need to get a new modem? I mean, it's working fine now, (and I don't understand exactly why), but it's getting a signal, and the green lights are there so how come this is happening?

Good Lord, if I have to tell Alan that one more thing is wrong, the guy is going to go nuts. 21 days and no computer, and no email??? He was in withdrawal.

lol

Melody

UPDATE, PLEASE READ!!!! As I was hitting the option to send this message, I lost the connection again. No green light. I reduced this browser, opened up Internet Explorer again, and did the diagnostic thing. It restored my connectivity and I knew I could just bring up this page and hit send. It worked.

So what is essentially happening is that there is a glitch in my modem, that it works when it feels like working, and in a blink of an eye, it loses the connection.

Any ideas? Has this ever happened to anyone? If I call Verizon, will they replace the modem or can I go to the store, and buy one myself? I am clueless about modems.

Is there a special one I have to get because I have a HP Pavillion Media center? I really don't know anything about modems.

Thanks much
I just hope I get to post again.

lol, Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote