Thread: Crps!
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoyizes View Post
Hi Courtney, and welcome to NT! This is such a great place with lots of friendly, caring, and helpful people.

We're so glad you found us!

Hello Everybody,
I'm new to this site, so bear with me please.
I am 47 years old with little or no health problems in the past.
In October of 2009, I caught the H1N1 flu. After about a week and a half of continuous coughing, I felt a pop in my lower back. I was unable to get out of bed without severe pain. After going to the emergency room, I was told I slipped a disc while couging (yes, you can do this, no matter how silly it sounds). I was told to stay on bed rest for 5-12 days. Well, after 2 days, I suddenly had no feeling in my right foot, and after another day, it had moved up to my calf and knee. After an MRI was performed, I actually had a herniated disc in my lower lumbar affecting my sciatic nerve. I was also told that I had early degenerative disc disease. I was told by my doctor that the herniation was too severe for optional treatments such as physical therapy or cortizone injections. My only option was surgery (microdiscectomy).
I was told my surgery was pretty invasive (the piece they needed to remove was larger and more difficult to remove, than had been expected). Still I had 100% no pain the first 3 days after surgery! It felt like a miracle! Then the pain returned on the third day. My neurosurgeon said that this is very typical due to swelling from the surgical procedure, and that it would just take a few more weeks to "die down". I also had symptoms where my right leg, from the knee down, would suddenly turn red, swell, and feel hot to the tough (it didn't matter what I was doing...resting, walking, sitting, etc). I was told to immediately have an ultrasound to rule out blood clots. Fortunately, no blood clots. Well, the weeks turned into months, and after 2 more emergency room visits and an hospital admittance for a week (to come up with a pain management program), I was finally given a second MRI. Of course, it was clear. Again, I was told that due to the acuteness of my herniated disc, it was just going to take more time for the nerve to "die down".
After 3 1/2 months, I was finally given the okay to begin physical therapy. It was with my physical therapist that I first heard about CRPS. When I asked her to write that down for me so I could look it up online, she did, but also said "don't freak out by what you read on CRPS". Well, I may not be "freaking out", but I am very worried to say the least. It has only been 4 days since my first physical therapy session, so I'm writing this now to put my mind at ease. After reading some of the other stories, I feel even more scared about what might be in store for me. I teach kindergarten and have my husband and 2 young sons at home with me. I know it's only been 3 1/2 months, but I just want some positive experiences out there that I will, once again, be able to have a somewhat "normal life". If anyone out there is willing to let me know what worked best for them, please let me know. Thank you so much for "listening".
Born2Bum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-10-2010)