View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Let's clear something up "again"....

Seems I post this over and over here and "there".

The 50,000 IU doctors give on RX is D2. This is the inferior form of D. It is about 1/2 as potent as D3.

I use D3. I buy it over the counter for pennies a day at iherb.com

I tend to think that daily intake is better. This is the way we evolved with food/ sun exposure. Massive doses of vits, given in one bolus infrequently tends to get stored, or eliminated. For fat soluble things like D....the body would want to store it. Water soluble vits tend to be eliminated via the urine quickly.
Some more quickly than others. Some B6 is stored in the muscles as pyridoxal, and B12 is stored in the liver. Benfotiamine is stored in fat, whereas thiamine is not.
So giving the D2 in a bolus...seems foolish to me. But then the doctors are having problems with understanding the treatment of low D status. They have been told to test for it...so far in CMEs but they are not on the ball yet with other aspects of this new development.
So I would suggest you take daily D3 you purchase yourself. Choose a liquigel, not a dry formulation tablet. I use NOW brand. The basic dose ratio is to raise blood work 10ng you need 1000IU of D3. So 5000 IUs would hopefully give 50ng which is the lower end of the normal range.

I started with 1000IU daily 5 yrs ago, then raised to 2000IU, last year 4000IU and this year 5000IU. I tend to have chronic pain issues (obviously) and seasonal affective disorder which slows my mental functioning makes me sleep too much in winter. I have NOT had either problem this winter. I have used a light visor in the past for the SAD, but I have not needed it since raising to 5000IU.

I go outside alot when the weather is warmer, and then I do not take the D supplement at all. I start it up in late Sept.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mere (02-10-2010)