View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'll tell you...it has been a real interesting ride over the last year or so. I started these spin classes last January, and the first few classes damn near killed me. Just spinning that long even without big increases in resistance was really tough. I was used to pedaling for a while and then coasting when i needed to.

I was never the prototypical "endurance athlete". I have a very stocky build, short legs, and I grew up hating running as a sport with a passion. But over the last year or so, something has changed.

As I have gone through these spin classes and stuck with them, I have been getting faster on the bike outdoors. Feeling stronger on the bike has made me enjoy it more, and enjoying it more has made it easier to do longer distances. So it has created a kind of feedback loop...instead of dreading going to workout on weeknights, I crave it, because I know it is making me stronger. Because I feel stronger, I enjoy the riding more. Because I enjoy it more, it makes me want to ride more.

I have had family and work obligations that have interrupted my schedule a bit over the last month or so, and for the first time that I can remember, I have actually had physical cravings to get on my bike or get into a spin class and just ride. Its been a really cool feeling to be like this and know that I am getting stronger because of it.

So I guess what I am saying is don't feel like a slacker if you aren't doing what I am doing...just get out and do what you can do, and revel in the fact that you are making yourself stronger by doing it. You might be surprised at what you find yourself capable of a year from now.
TXBatman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BBS1951 (02-10-2010), Dejibo (02-10-2010), SallyC (02-11-2010)