View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, we were not aware that we could get any support for the grandchildren, so they have not received anything except what we provided. The children were never in foster care; they were just abandoned by their mother and left with us. I believe she is on SSI, but we have not seen nor heard from her in 5 years.

SSA is supposed to call this month to get all of the information on the children and their situation. We have all of the supporting documentation regarding our guardianship, which was appointed in March 2005. I don't really care about the backpay, but any future payments would be sooooo helpful. I lost a high paying job 2 years ago after 33 years of employment because of my disability, and my husband had to change jobs so that he could have the flexibility to be available to help with the children and care for me when necessary.

The kids should qualify for a benefit under my SSDI, and hopefully will qualify for the death benefit in the future. If they do get any backpay, that would make things better for them, too.
dollymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote