View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help thanks mike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichael View Post
Dear Kathy -

Pain can indeed do some pretty crazy things to us. And it can be induced in some pretty crazy fashions, "opioid-induced hyperalgesia" being one of them, where we can be on large enough doses of opioids that they not only become essentially useless but they ultimately reinforce and strengthen what is already CNS generated pain. For the quick treatment on Wikipedia, see, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid-...d_hyperalgesia

I just put up a long post on this in another thread, which path will you choose?
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...d=1#post620879 (post no. 8.)

The post covers of few points, first, that at too high a level, opioids can actually cause more pain than they cure. Thus, before one ever assumes that the pain is as manageable is it’s going to get, you MUST have a conversation with a good pain dr. about the possibility of so-called opioid-induced hyperalgesia, it's causes and remedies: assuming of course you have been taking ant opioid at all.

The good news is that there are a number of fixes for the problem, including not only that old favorite, opioid rotation, but adding to the opioid another compound, whether it’s a so-called “NMDA receptor antagonist,” which could be as simple as the over-the-counter cough suppressant dextromethorphan in order to block pain processing from the spinal column to the brain, or the most minute amount (in millionths of a gram) of an opioid blocker which has the paradoxical effect of increasing the analgesic qualities of the narcotic while reducing the total amount taken, and therefore their side effects.

The bottom line is that no one should be resigning themselves to a life of absolutely intolerable pain, unless and until you’ve fully explored these issues and options with a good pain physician.

Mike
I really appreciate your note and all of your information...It is a large feat to "go it alone"..without pain meds of any kind.. I have been thru so much and still ready to ty as my Pain mangement Dr. reccommends..let me say I had TOS..with bilaterial rib removal..both first ribs on each side of my chest. Following the first surgery..I had the heavy stuff and boy did I need them..but had terrible ill effects..second rib..removed while taking tylenol only...even antibiotics are out but one...after 20 yrs. of trial and error.... I am still open to suggestions but must say I have had my day over the john.. lookng at the pill bottle..sends me running..My PM Dr. scratches his head... Gotta say one thing..I am either tough or stupid ..but I am almost 3 yrs. into my RSD...but the best part is I am not spending the majority time in the bathroom...tee-hee..

Have a great night, Mike...

Kathy
keep smilin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (02-13-2010)