View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Mama? View Post
I had my first lumbar fusion at age 10 ('68), then another at higher levels two years later with instrumentation (this additional surgery was anticipated, as I have scoliosis...it wasn't so much because of any additional stress on the vertebrae above the fusion). This served me well for 20 years, and probably would've went longer if a group of surgeons hadn't seen all the hardware and dollar signs flashing in front of their eyes.

In the interim, I was quite active...running three miles a day and working in a furniture factory. Ahhhh....but I was young then.
I am in a similar situation - after two back surgeries L23,5 and again L5 to remove what they thought was pressure on the nerve causing my left leg pain. only to find out that my left hip was totally dislocated due to the scoliosis and tilted pelvis - doctors are considering a totol top to bottom fusion - I would be at least 4 inches taller - cool - but the 10 hour surgery then the hip replacement scares me to death - no to mention to loss of confidence in the medical community - I am 49 and want to to return to a fully active life style. I am searching for the best surgeon to consult with - I will go anyplace. that may be the best strategy for you. I wish you well.
Laurie Montgomery is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (04-27-2011)