View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Soccer,

Yes, a TBI can be isolating. Until I met my neuro-psychologist, I never met anyone who understood or who could be made to understand what I was going through. Then I found NT.

I can post stuff here and I know the rest of you are nodding (gently) your heads, going, "Yeah, I've been there." Heck, I'm just thrilled to be some where that people don't jump all over you and discount what you say if you make a spelling or grammar error. NT really makes me feel less alone.

However, NT does more than that: it allows me to benefit from the wisdom of people who've been dealing with this for longer than I have. I've learned all sorts of important things about supplements, alternative treatments, coping strategies, diagnostic tests, etc... I would never know this stuff without Mark, Vini, Mrh4, Lucy, etc... handing it to me, tied in a bow. Frankly, I now lack the attention span, initiative and organizational skills to find that stuff on my own.

I am also inspired by accounts from those who have improved and comforted by the stories of those who have accepted their limitations with grace.

I know it's hard for you to walk away from contact sports. Look at my avitar; I was a hockey playing maniac. I started in a diaper, played varsity and then went into adult league play. I scored two goals in a game the night before my accident. Heck, I can't tell you how much I loved playing hockey.

What I can tell you, is that it is much harder to wave goodbye to your child while the neighbours take her sledding or skiing or to all the other activities I can't share with her anymore. Spare yourself that pain. Think of the wonderful future that's waiting for you. A future, that even without the TBI, probably wouldn't have included basketball.

The vast majority of female players don't participate into middle age. They move on to other interests and responsibilities or their knees are shot. Would you be playing with a torn ACL?

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-15-2010)