Thread: ESA vs PSD
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Here's a link to some information (though I haven't read it myself.) http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/ar...hp/t-7204.html

The key point is this: any animal not trained is not going to be allowed everywhere. It's not just the health issue that gives a pass by the health dept., and not just being able to keep control (or regain control) of your animal, it's having a SERVICE animal that is trained to do stuff to help you when you need it. An emotional support animal does not require any such training.

I would think twice about the psychiatric service dog, because there's such a stigma it might work against you when you really need support. (And not sympathy or head shaking, you know?)

With an ESA they KNOW it's for emotional support only. While I know that's important, well, there are limitations.

With a service animal they are NOT allowed to ask you what kind it is, meaning exactly what your disorder is. They are now allowed to ask if it is a service animal, and to name 3 tasks that it does for you that you can't do for yourself.

I would seek out the service animal websites, which are plentiful, and gain more knowledge as to what exactly will do you the most benefit.

Good wishes!