View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 12:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
A service dog must have a bladder the size of a horse and be willing to chew off his own foot rather than eliminate on anything but a grassy surface. He must be able to let you know his needs, but most definitely not continuously whine nor bark.
ROFL this is so true! I've had my service dog just over 3 years now, and for the 1st time in our day to day outings, has he needed to use the grass for a dump, this last week. Of course, when travelling on vacation etc, if he waits long enough, he'll go wherever I tell him!

I think it's important to talk to trainers or vets about breeds, if you haven't a clue about which kind is best for you. Before I obtained my first service dog, I read a book about each breed I liked, and narrowed it down to two: labrador retriever and standard poodle. Figaro was a full lab. Caleb is a labradoodle. I had Figaro 15 years and he was terrific. Caleb was pushed into service early, and is still maturing at 3 yo, but I watch him weekly add to his repetoire. I know in another year or so he's going to be top notch!
But ... those breeds suited my own personality, in addition to being easy to train and amicable.

tc