View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 11:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have read a few of your posts and must have missed the one that said you were so young. That must be really hard to get this diagnosis when you still have your whole life ahead of you. I am 32 and it's hard to know the rest of my life will have limitations at some points, so I can't imagine what it must be like to be just starting off. If possible I would honestly suggest counseling if you aren't already. The others are right it is a grieving process.

It is also hard to understand when one minute you are fine and could easily go about the day and then BAM the next day you can hardly move without serious effort. I will say though I have never experienced the crisis the others here talk about. The worse I have experienced is hardly being able to move and feeling like I was hit by a truck. I can usually tell before that happens but not always, some days it is just there all of the sudden without much warning. If you are already in pre-crisis mode then I would not exert yourself. What is a week of skiing when you could end up in the hospital for weeks or months? Also I would imagine emergency services have a hard time reaching the mountain very quickly. My personal opinion is just don't go. Yes it is hard to do that, trust me I know, it makes you feel like MG is "winning" in some respect but if you are healthy you are the one winning. Also I know how I felt at your age and that was without an MG diagnosis.

If you truly do decide to go anyway, then print off a laminated card with your dr's info, your disease info, and all meds you should avoid. This way your friend can direct any EMT's to the card you should carry the entire time if something were to happen and you were unable to respond. Also you may want to consider a med alert bracelet if you haven't already. There are certain meds that can make a crisis situation much worse or deadly for MG patients if the treating medical personnel don't know you have it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
AtlantaMG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote