View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Fenugreek and Thyroid!! I have a question

Hi to you all.

I have been sprouting Fenugreek for almost one year. I started sprouting this seed because of what I learned about it's effect on lowering one's blood sugar. In my case, it's part of a good eating plan and I happen to love it in my salads.

But, in researching, I came upon the fact that Fenugreek interferes with conversion of T4 to T3 thyroid hormones".

I went to this website:

http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/...f_Thyroid.html

and here's an excerpt.

"Animal evidence found fenugreek seed extract impaired peripheral conversion of thyroid hormones. Administration of 0.11 g/kg body weight daily for 15 days to male mice and rats resulted in a significant decrease in serum T3, with a concomitant increase in T4 levels. Hepatic lipid peroxidation was unchanged, suggesting the observed impairment in peripheral conversion was not peroxidation-mediated"

Now I sprout Fenugreek. I don't heat up the seed or eat the seed as it is nor do I ground it up. So does this information pertain to Fenugreek Sprouts? And what exactly does this mean. "interferes with T4 to T3 thyroid hormones".

I have never had any problems with my thyroid but I want to make sure I can eat this in my salad every day. It's extremely economical, it's delicious and it's not fattening. And it lowers blood sugar. I hope I don't have to stop eating this wonderful sprout.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-24-2010)