View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

When we were training Tiny, we were told to never kiss him. Know why? Because when people kiss dogs, the people think that the dog understands that a kiss (to us) means love.

Well, to a dog, when a human kisses a dog, the dog interprets that as you telling him that he is the boss and that he's the Alpha of the pack and that we should do his bidding. He doesnt think it's love, he thinks it's a tribute to him for being the biggest and strongest and that he's the lord and master of your house.

Same thing with petting the dogs excessively. (I was a bit guilty of that at times...Tiny was pushy and would con you into petting and rubbing him)

We were pretty good at telling Tiny who was boss of him. I did a lot of training with him and could do things to him that I could never have done to my poodle I had when I was younger.

I could take Tiny's food away from him whenever I wanted to. Couldnt do that with the poodle, I'd lose fingers if I had. If you're the Giver and Bringer (and Taker) of THE Food, the dog is going to think that you've got magical powers...you can make food appear for him.

That "wait" command I talked about. I could put Tiny's dog dish down, tell Tiny to "wait", and walk away. He'd sit in that wait position until I came back and released him. (now that's power!) My dad once put Tiny's food down, and forgot to tell him "ok". Tiny sat there for about 10 or 15 minutes in his "wait" before he did a little Wookiee bark to say "hey, dad? Can I eat now?" (Tiny sounded like Chewie from Star Wars...supposedly Tiny's breed is where they got the sound for Chewbacca's "speech")

My dad went back in there, and Tiny looked up at him with a "PLEASE!! I'm hungry!" look on his face, drool running down his beard, and my dad was "oh...sorry! OK!". Tiny inhaled the bowl.

I could also stand next to Tiny and touch him while he was eating. He'd just keep eating. My poodle would have turned around, ripped my face off and then gone back to eating if I'd ever done that to him.

I'd stand in the front yard, brushing Tiny down. Basically giving him a mini-grooming. His groomer said that he was one of the easiest dogs to groom because he was used to us brushing him down and touching his feet.

I cant imagine standing out there and brushing a dog now. My back wouldnt be able to take the strain anymore.

I worked with Tiny almost every day, he was pretty much velcroed to my hip. If I was home, he was with me. If I went outside, he'd be with me. Slept on the floor in my bedroom with me. Literally my constant companion when I was home.

I doubt Rachel Ray spends that kind of time with her dog(s). I really doubt she pays them that much attention either. She's proven that she cant handle the dog if it's attacked someone/something four times.

I dont like the idea of putting a dog down, but she's pretty much condemned the poor thing to a date with the needle. Any dog that's attacked someone/something four times cannot be trusted around people or other animals. It's dangerous to people and other animals, and cruel to her dog because it'll pretty much have to live in solitary confinement if they allow it to live. Dogs are social creatures. Solitary confinement will drive the dog even more insane.

I'm probably going to have a lot of people think I'm a horrible person but the dog should be put down. It's obviously not safe to be around, and it'd be cruel to allow it to go slowly nuts in solitary confinement.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (02-15-2010), NeuroRN (02-15-2010)