Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Here is the best article I could find on fenugreek:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Often when you read about extracts or studies, you really don't know what they used. An extract is concentrated, and in general more potent that the food version.

In this study the seed was powdered, hull and inside, UNsprouted.

There are two studies out of 4 on PubMed that mention thyroid converstion in rats. I will add here that there is one study on RATs as well with alpha lipoic acid!

The thyroid makes both T4 and T3. T3 is the active form and made in lesser amounts and typically during stress/trauma.
T4 is stored in the tissues, and is inactive and awaits need and is converted by enzymes to active T3. It is this action suggested that is supressed by fenugreek extract. Some rat studies do not cross over to humans, but once published are always quoted, because there is nothing else really to rely upon.

If you remove the seed coat, you are not eating the same thing as the extract.

So it is hard to answer your question. I would say that if you don't show signs of hypothyroidism (sluggish/cold/losing hair/weight gain/edema and carpal tunnel) that you are okay.
But without a test at the doctor's you won't know for sure.
It might also depend on how much of this you eat, and other factors. The minerals zinc and selenium are used in the enzymes that convert T4 to T3 also. So a deficiency in these can lower T3 levels as well.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote